Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dinner Tonight:Grilled Tofu




Nothing like firing up the grill on a nice spring afternoon. Burgers, steaks and dogs are the perfect grilling fare. How does tofu on the grill sound? I am sure the few people read this blog are navigating to the X button in the upper right hand corner of their screen but I urge you to pause for a moment. While grilling tofu may not have the same appeal as a thick rib eye steak you may be surprised with the results of a nice chunk of grilled tofu.

First thing you want to achieve when grilling tofu is a nice crust on the outside. To do this you must properly drain the tofu. I put the block of curd between two plates and placed something heavy on top. Every few minutes pour off the liquid until there is non left. Cut the tofu into bite sized chunks after draining is complete. Being that tofu is very sponge like its a perfect vechile for absorbing a marinade. I simply used fresh lime juice and soy sauce. I let it marinade for about 3 hours carefully tossing occasionally.

I then skewered the tofu and put them on a HOT OILED grill. I emphasize this because tofu can easily fall apart. I cooked them about 8 minutes in each side(turn carefully).

I served mine in a Asian inspired sauce consisting of Oyster Sauce that I thinned out with a little chicken stock and rice wine. I also put a couple of dashes of hot sauce and thickened the sauce with a slurry.

Tips:

*For grilling purposed use extra firm tofu

* Tofu is very versatile and urge you to try your favorite grill recipes(especially ones for chicken and fish)with tofu instead of meat.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites