Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Bowl Snack: Curry Dip


It was a good weekend to be a New Yorker. I'm not a big football person but on Sunday you really didn't have to be to enjoy the outcome. Congrats to Eli and company.

At my home I am in charge of all the food. I food shop, I cook and more times than not I clean up after wards. I am not complaining about it either I feel right at home(most the time) in the kitchen. My wife on the other hand is not much of a cook. This is not a knock against her at all. She is a naturally organized and neat person therefore she is better suited for other household chores.

So my brother and sister law had a super bowl party on Sunday and I figured I would be called upon to make something. I like cooking for parties. When I make party dishes I try to give guests something different than just chips and salsa. A dish to show off my culinary prowess. I did not get a chance to however. My sister in law requested my wife make her Curry Dip recipe. Now when I said my wife doesn't cook that is indeed a true statement. She does make Spinach Dip and Curry Dip quite often for parties. But I do not consider dip making 'cooking' because well, it isn't cooked. I must admit I was slightly insulted. After all I am the chef of the house and I am the one they should be asking to bring something. It then dawned on me that I do not have a signature dish. Something to distinguish me from others. Maybe my logic to make something different all the time does not work to my advantage.I need to create a specialty to give me an identity. In this new year perhaps I should find my one dish and perfect so family and friends will request my food and I could share my recipe with them.

Anyway enough ranting. My wife's Curry Dip is actually very good and this is coming from a non dip person. This is an old recipe from the 60's or 70's from I believe from her great aunt. Though there is curry in this recipe even a person who doesn't like the pungent spice should be able to enjoy it. It's has a nice tangy and spicy flavor that goes great with veggies. She chose carrot,cauliflower and celery as the dipping apparatuses. Turned out great and the guests loved it.


2 cups mayo
1 tblspn mustard powder
1 tblspn garlic powder
1 tblspn curry powder
1 tblspn horseradish
1 tblspn grated onion
1 tblspn white win vinegar
1 tblspn mustard


Combine ingrerdients and let chill for an hour before serving.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites