Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Dinner Tonight: Shrimp And Grits




How yall doin? Tonight I made a classic southern dish, Shrimp and Grits. Though I did not make it in the traditional way I think it came out pretty good.


My wife and I were watching Anthony Bourdains: No Reservations recently and he was exploring the wonders of Charleston, South Carolina. During this show one of dishes he samples were Shrimp and Grits. Immediately I was intrigued by the combination of seafood and breakfast cereal. I googled a few recipes and I decide to ad lib a bit.




10 Cleaned Shrimp


Old Fashioned Grits(follow directions on carton for 4 servings)


1/3 cup sharp White Cheddar shredded


1 Orange Pepper diced


1 stalk of celery heart chopped


1 small Shallot chopped


1 clove garlic shopped


1 Splash Dry White Wine


Dashes of: Cayenne Pepper, White Pepper and salt


3 Tablespoons duck Fat




For the two or three people that read this blog regularly they might of read my duck breast recipe where I pleaded to save the rendered duck when they cook the succulent bird. Well I practice what I preach and implemented it in this dish. I figured this was good to do so in because I see a lot of recipes for this dish using bacon fat.


So I added the duck fat to a hot skillet and let it melt down a bit. I added the garlic and shallot to the skillet and cooked them for two minutes. I proceed to add the celery and the pepper and cooked them for about 3 minutes or so stirring occaisonally. Finally I added the shrimp,cayenne pepper,white pepper and a splash of white wine. Give it a few stirs and cover for a about three minutes or until the shrimp are done. You know a shrimp is done by its bright pink color and and it the way they curl up. Serve over the Grits


Now for the grits. Please do not buy either instant or quick grits at least for this recipe. I used Quaker Old Fashion Grits enriched with hominy, yeeee haaaaaaaa. I followed the directions for cheese grits on this box BUT I refused to use the processed cheese product it recommended on the box. I opted for some a White Vermont Cheddar that was aged for 14 months. I stirred the cheese into the grits one minute before the grits were do to be done with a drop of half and half.




*Obviously most people can figure out(maybe not Tom) that you do not need duck fat to make this. Subsitute it with oil you like or butter.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites