Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dinner Tonight: Tofu Stir Fry




Tofu. Either you love it or you hate it. I must admit at one point in my gastronomic life I too shunned the spongy white bean curd but now I am tofu admirer. Even my wife who does not like Asian food of any sort is beginning to change her tofu hating ways. Below is a recipe for what I had for dinner tonight. I am going to list the ingredients that I used but feel free to use whatever you have in the fridge.



1 14 oz package of extra firm organic tofu drained and cut in cubes
1 bunch of shitake mushrooms sliced(approx 12)
1 hand full of pea pods
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 small shallot
1 pinch of minced fresh ginger
1 hand full of chopped bell pepper
2 small organic carrots peeled and chopped
1 dash of sherry
1 squirt of mustard
2 dashes of soy sauce
1/2 of cup of chicken stock
3 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tsp of corn starch dissolved in a little cold water

Before cooking tofu you must drain it. Place the tofu block on a plate and then place another plate on top of the tofu. After that place something heavy like a can of soup on the top plate to apply pressure on the tofu. Leave it for 20 minutes then dice it.
Add the oil to a hot pan or wok and let it heat up on high heat until it is very hot. Add the tofu and gently stir for few minutes until it gets a little browned and remove from pan. Add garlic,ginger and shallot and let them cook for a minute or so. Then add mushrooms, bell pepper ,carrots and pea pods. Lower the heat a little and cover for a couple minutes. Add sherry,soy sauce,stock,mustard and corn starch. Stir regularly and when the mixture starts to thicken add the tofu back in. Stir a few more times and serve the stir fry over rice or noodles.
Yields 2 to 3 servings

Tip:
*When stir frying it is very important to have all ingrients prepared and at arms length ready to be cooked

2 comments:

ih8mispace said...

Dear nonicetime,

Is there a type of Tofu that you prefer over others?? I must admit as well, I am not a fan of the spongy block. But this looks and sounds rather appetizing! I'm going to try to disguise the bean curd in my next meal to trick my boyfriend into eating healthy. With your recipe I think It will be a success!!

Tofully Yours,
yorJaCees

NoNiceTime said...

I think peoples biggest gripe with tofu is the texture. I usually use the extra firm for this reason.

Add to Technorati Favorites