Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dinner Tonight: Infrared Grilled Steak w/ Glazed Carrots & Sugar Snap Peas






Why is it so hard to make a steak at home at the same level you would get a high end steak house? One reason of course is the quality of the steak but I will get into that another day.
The other reason high end steak house's steaks are so good is because they are cooked in ovens that generate heat that home ovens and grills simply can't duplicate. Take for instance the popular steak house chain Ruth Chris. Their steaks are cooked in ovens that go up to 1800 degrees. Cooking steaks in temperatures that high instantly chars the outside of the steak creating a shell that will keep the juices sealed inside. The result a delicious steak cooked well on the outside but still rare and juicy on the inside.


Just recently infrared burners are becoming readily available on house hold grills. I have a Perfect Flame grill from Lowes that has three normal burners and one infrared burner. Infrared burners can reach heats greater than 700 degrees and will cook a one inch steak in minutes perfectly charred on the outside and juicy and rare on the inside.


Tonight I prepared a shell steak or a strip steak on my grill. First I applied a dry rub consisting of brown sugar,paprika, white pepper, salt and touch of cayenne pepper. I rubbed this mixture on both sided of my steak. I then started my infrared burner on high and let it heat up for two minutes and then threw my steak on it. I left it on for two minutes and then flipped it over and cooked it two more minutes. The outcome is perfectly cooked juicy medium rare steak.


For my vegetable side I peeled and sliced two small carrots length ways into approx two inch pieces and added to boiling water. I let that cook for three minutes and added a hand full of peas and boiled for one more minute. I then put the veggies into a colander and ran it under cold water to stop the cooking process. I then added a tablespoon of butter, a tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of fresh minced ginger to a sauce pan with a splash of water. After the brown sugar was dissolved in the mixture I added the veggies to the saucepan and cooked for about six minutes.

Tips:

* Always let the steak rest before you cut it. The juices need to redistribute throughout the steak. Let it rest for at least for five minutes if not longer

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites