Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Friday, October 26, 2007

Dinner Tonight: Chicken w/ Caramelized Onions and Gouda Cheese


Caramelized Onions are a very easy and savory addition to a variety of meals. Like I said it's easy to make but it takes a little time to get them perfect.

I first peeled and chopped one yellow onion into strips approx. 1/2 inch long. I heated olive oil in a large non stick saucepan. I used enough oil to coat the bottom plus about a tablespoon more. Let the oil get hot then add the onions. Stir the onions around so all of the pieces get covered with oil. Then I added a couple of tablespoons of white cooking wine. Stir the onions every few minute. After about 15-20 minutes the water in the onions will have completely evaporated and the sugar in the onions will begin to caramelize. You want the onions to get a nice golden brown color to them. When they are done transfer them onto a plate and set aside.

For the chicken I used thin sliced cutlets. Rinse the chicken, pat them dry and add salt and pepper. Break one egg into a bowl add a touch of milk and beat with a fork. Heat up about a tablespoon of oil into a skillet and let the oil heat up. Dip the chicken in the egg batter allowing the excess batter to drip off and add to the skillet. Cook the cutlets until they are nice and brown on both sides.

For this recipe I used a nice imported Gouda Cheese that I shredded. I put a layer of onions over the cutlets. I used just enough onions to cover the top of them. I proceeded to added the cheese on top of the onions. Heat up your broiler on high and put the chicken underneath the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and remove immediately and serve.
I served this with a warm baby spinach salad. In a skillet heat a 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil. After the oil is heated up add one bag of washed baby spinach. Add a few drops of soy sauce and a tablespoon of cider vinegar. Toss the spinach until it starts to wilt a bit, remove and plate.

2 comments:

IKE said...

Looks good playboy

Anonymous said...

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with this simple but extremely delicious dish. The gorgonzola cheese completes the flavor and would recommend serving with bread.

WC

Add to Technorati Favorites