Food Blog|Recipes|Product Reviws|Food Commentary|Long Island Food

Monday, October 15, 2007

Dinner Tonight: Apple Cheddar Sandwich


After a hard day at work there is nothing like coming home to a nice apple sandwich right? As funny as it may sound this is actually a very delicious sandwich and its a nice change of pace from a hamburger. In this method I am using baby arugula and a curry mayonnaise to add extra flavor. Actually the marriage of the peppery arugula, the sweetness of the apple, and the sharpness of the cheddar with the spicy curry is quite complimentary.



Method:



Now, I just made one sandwich so I can not really give exact measurements but this is what I used. I sliced one Red Delicious Apple into thin slices. I discarded the slices with a lot of skin on them because I find the skin too chew. I sprinkled some lemon juice on the apple slices to prevent them from browning. After that I mixed a table spoon of mayonnaise with a dash of curry powder and a squirt of lemon juice. Please be careful with the curry a little of it goes a long way. Whisk the mixture together and spread it on the bottom of a roll. Place the arugula on top of the mayo mixture. I used enough arugula to completely cover the bottom of the roll nicely. Now its time to arrange the apple slices on top of the arugula. Apply the cheddar cheese on top of the apple slices. I like to shred the cheese first because it will melt more evenly.

Set your ovens broiler on low. Try to tuck the arugula underneath the the apples slices because they will burn when put underneath the broiler. Put the sandwich underneath the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and remove immediately. If you want the top part of the roll toasted put it under the broiler for minute or so.

Tips:
*Substitute the arugula with watercress
*If not using baby arugula be sure to remove the stems from the leaves
*If you do like like curry try using cayenne pepper

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this information to be quite interesting. I am very ineterested in seeing what else to come up with in the future. So who is your favorite kung fu fighter? Pease out from the East coast. One time, one time.

R.D.

IKE said...

Can you add a Mets Yankee section.

Add to Technorati Favorites